& Camerlengo Borden Milk Tank Cars
following dissertation contains modeling methods which may be appalling.
while ago I managed to economically acquire 4 of the re-tooled Borden's
Butterdish kits from Funaro & Camerlengo. At a friend's prompting,
I finally sat down and put one together. This kit took me about
a week of evenings to assemble, paint, and decal.
had previously cleaned up the parts, so it may have taken longer
normally. The kit is composed of white resin which looks better,
drills better (my opinion,) and is better detailed than the kits
predecessor (I've assembled 2 of the immediate ancestor to this
kit.) The tank looks sharper, or better scaled(?) than before and
has little bumps indicating placement of drill holes. The bumps
actually help create the illusion of grab-iron mountings. The frame
is also much better than before. It's lighter, more detailed, and
actually supplies pre-formed grabs for the frame, but the railing
around the tank must still be done by hand. Stanchions are supplied,
if you like delicate cleaning, but eyebolts are suggested for cars
which might be handled frequently.
put some of the supplied (cast resin) brake gear on the car, but
for the brake wheel itself, I used a Calscale casting. I also added
a detail not addressed in the instructions. On the opposite side
of the tank from the fins, there is a pipe or something. I created
this with a bit of wire (supplied in the kit for handgrabs,) and
glued it into a hole drilled into the tank and frame.
frames are supplied with this kit. However, I chose to substitute
a pair of Athearn 53308 50' Express Reefer trucks.
decals in the kit have been called oversized by some, but I used
them. They went on well: No tearing or disintegrating was experienced.
only complaint I can think of is that the fins are difficult to
install as they are thinner (truer to scale.) An experienced modeler
will likely cut a grove on the ends of the tank to help the glue
hold the fins in place. My attempt wasn't so good.
in all, a good kit. I was surprised at how quickly it actually went
together. My finished car actually looks better than the previous
version of this kit.
The following numbers appear on Butterdish cars on the Sussex Branch:
516, 522 (red), 531 (red), 534 (red), 537 (silver)
The colors I used are Pollyscale 'Aluminum' and Pollyscale 'Caboose
a secret: Do a search on eBay
for 'Borden' There were two gentlemen who were recently selling
these improved kits at a great 'Buy It Now' price, especially if
you purchase more than one.