Cranberry Lake (Summit Switch), New Jersey
MP 52.81 (DL&W)
Telegraph Call: CD
This post card view shows Cranberry Lake at it's
The first station at Cranberry Lake (originally known
as 'the reservoir',) was a 21 x 15 ft. open shelter structure was built
in 1898. In the period between 1902 to about 1910 the lake experienced
a rise and fall in activity, both railroad and social. The Lackawanna
developed a peninsula on Cranberry Lake into a parkland resort where
city folk could come on Sundays for a one-day excursion into the countryside.
The rudimentary station shelter was moved, enclosed to become a ticket
office, and the platform was extended from 400 to 800 feet. In 1903
and a large hotel was built on the lake to accommodate vacationers.
Within ten years however, the holiday crowds had degraded
into drunken revelers and the charm of Cranberry lake had disappeared,
to both the excursionists and the locals around it. In 1910 the Hotel
burned down and soon after the bridge was torn out. By 1920 the station
was once again a rude shelter and by 1943, when the station closed,
Cranberry lake was a flag stop.