60.0 (DL&W) 11.5 (SRR)
Depot for the Sussex Railroad was was a 122 x 68 foot frame structure
built in 1854. This building was used as the freight and passenger depot
and had 2 parallel tracks running into it. It was converted for exclusive
freight use in 1873 and torn down in 1906 when the concrete
freight station was built on the same site.
The brick passenger
station, (22 x 70 feet), was built in 1873 and the temporary frame prefab
that served during its construction was eventually transferred to Lafayette
for use as that town's depot. The second floor of the brick depot contained
the Sussex Railroad offices . The separate freight agent was discontinued
in 1931-33, but the passenger agent continued up until abandonment.
While the freight house survives today as a mini mall, the passenger
station was taken down on November 14, 1970.
The original engine
house was built about 1860 and was replaced (or rebuilt) to four stalls
in 1873. A
four stall, brick roundhouse was reduced to two stalls by 1902,
and torn down in 1933. The yard had a water tank, a water crane and
a stock yard in the 1920s. The 90 foot turntable lasted into the 1950s.
photo shows what I call the 'Porch roof' era of the station. The
portico had been removed except for a section along the track this photo
is likely from the Early 1940's to 1950's.
Just outside of
Newton, a trestle was built over the Newton-Sparta Rd. in 1906. At the
time it was hailed as abolishing a dangerous grade crossing. By the
1960s, when this
photo was snapped, the town was chomping at the bit to remove the
trestle as trucks could not navigate it's 11 foot height. The sharp
turn leading to it and narrow width only added to the problem which
is why it was removed within 1 year of the railroad's abandonment.
Shoe Factory, Feed, lumber and coal dealers, bulk oil plant,
N.J. Power and Light Co. (formerly Newton
Gas & Electric) (View
2 from about 1930)
side of Newton Gas & Electric from 1927 Perspective map.