wood frame station was built in 1854, when the connection was made with
the Morris & Essex. At this time the Sussex Railroad built a bridge
over Inclined Plane #4 West at Waterloo when the railroad was first
built in 1854. This bridge was replaced in 1877. The railroad bridge
across the roadway (Taylor Road) was replaced in 1878-79.
to Kevin Wright, a local historian, the cut stone from the abutments
for this roadway
bridge, standing near the water outlet from the canal power house,
was used to repair the tumbling vent in the Lock Pond dam at Waterloo
A large new water
tank was built at Waterloo in 1881.
1, 1890, the boiler of a Delaware, Lackawanna & Western locomotive
named the Morris exploded at 2:05 P. M. while standing on the upper
track at Waterloo, waiting for the Sussex Railroad passengers on the
1:30 mail train from Newton to board. Though many people were standing
on the platform, no one was seriously injured, despite the heavy rain
of shrapnel. The 400-pound cast-iron sand box on top of the boiler
shot high into the air and came down through the slate roof of the
depot, crashing through one floor to lodge in the ceiling above Whitfield
N. Gray's ticket office. Some pieces thrown into the air weighed a
half ton apiece.
Martin F. Wintermute,
of Townley's Photo Gallery in Newton, happened to be on the Sussex
train and had his camera with him. He got seven or eight excellent
views of the wreck.
The bypass from
Netcong to the Sussex Branch several miles up the Branch from Waterloo
was built in 1901. The turntable (50 footer) was removed soon after
1902, after the 'Stanhope Cutoff' was inaugurated and the Waterloo
leg began to be disused as a connection. About half of the track remained
in place however, extending from the branch north of Waterloo road,
to serve the Mountain Ice Company siding.
The last agent
at Waterloo, Clarence Lance, was discontinued in 1922 and the station
was later replaced by a smaller shelter.
According to Henry Charlton Beck [See "Frenche's 'Castle' and
Waterloo," Tales and Towns of Northern New Jersey, (Rutgers University
Press: New Brunswick, 1964), p. 99], Willis Montonya moved the
old Waterloo depot to a place near the Netcong Circle in 1939, converting
it to a bungalow. He kept the old station clock and signboard as souvenirs.]
From the 1940s
Waterloo was the only regular station stop on the Lackawanna which
did not have a building or shelter roof. The rude shelter which replaced
the station burned down in 1946.